In this article, we will discuss the definition of Quirky personality. We will do that by defining what quirky is and how it manifests in personalities. We will explain how quirky people look like and their signs. We will also describe their approach in interpersonal interactions and discuss how, why and which famous people are quirky.
Quirky personality definition
The dictionary defines quirky as ‘a strange or unique action or personality’ or ‘idiosyncrasies, and strange, silly, awkward, and potentially cute manner of being.
With respect to personality, quirky refers to people who are weird, unusual, strange, bizarre, and eccentric in their behavior. Such people are the oddballs and stand out among a big crowd without even trying. These people are not afraid to be unique and different. Furthermore, their appearance is quite distinct and involves unusual clothing, strange habits, and a different manner of speaking. Being quirky does not necessarily mean someone is abnormal. Rather, in normal ranges, quirky and eccentric behavior is healthy and refreshing.
What it means to be Quirky
Another name for quirkiness is eccentricity or unusual behavior shown by a particular individual. This is perceived by others as strange and away from the norm. It is not necessarily maladaptive. Such individuals have a unique way of solving problems and prioritizing different aspects in life.
The word eccentricity is derived from the Greek word ennectricus which means out of the center. It is synonymously used with quirkiness to describe people with unconventional qualities and behavior. People who are quirky are highly creative and intellectually gifted. Their external expression is original and reflective of their creative mind and high intelligence. Their habits are considered strange and incomprehensible by others because they are not based on logic.
John Stuart Mill (1806) said “the amount of eccentricity in a society has generally been proportional to the amount of genius, mental vigor, and moral courage which it contained”.
Similarly, Edith Sitwell stated that eccentricity is “often a kind of innocent pride”, She also mentioned that geniuses and aristocrats are called eccentrics because “they are entirely unafraid of and uninfluenced by the opinions and vagaries of the crowd“
In some cases, eccentric or quirky behavior is linked with great wealth. It is ironic that the same behavior is considered equivalent to insane behavior for people who are poor.
Quirky/Eccentric people are not restricted by the conventions of their environment. It could be that they find standards of normal behavior in their culture as incomprehensible or meaningless. Furthermore, it could also be that they are completely unconcerned with how others perceive them and do not seek validation or approval from society for their habits and beliefs. In a way, eccentricity or quirkiness is freedom from the shackles of societal standards.
Signs of Quirky Personalities
According to David weeks, a psychologist, people with a mental disorder are in distress and suffer due to their illness. In contrast, people who are eccentric are happy and less likely to have a mental illness. His findings indicated that a person who is healthy yet eccentric has the following characteristics:
- These people show consistent nonconforming behavior.
- They are highly creative.
- They are driven by their curiosity and adventurous traits. They seek to explore themselves and the world.
- They expedience a persistent feeling of being different from others.
- They have an idealistic worldview and want to make an impact. This can be in the form of contributing to making the world a better place or making people happy.
- They have limited interest in the opinions of others
- It is likely that they have one or two hobbies they are obsessed with or passionate about.
- They speak their mind and express their opinions no matter how unconventional they may be.
- Usually, such people are single and not in a committed relationship.
- There is a higher chance that such a person is an only child or the eldest one in their family.
- They have strange eating habits and living arrangements.
- They have a mischievous sense of humor.
- They are not dependent on approval from others nor are they competitive in nature.
- They can occasionally be bizarre, erratic, and cranky.
Famous people who are Quirky
Many famous people with brilliant minds have a history of showing unusual behavior and habits. Yet, they are considered cranks by society. In some cases, these people may actually have mental disorders but it is not always the case. Some people just like to have a different taste in clothes and their hobbies. They are passionate about collecting certain things and have a very unique manner of speaking. It can include idiosyncratic words. Some of them may share characteristics with people who have autistic spectrum disorder especially in terms of their distinct communication style and hobbies.
Many individuals make an active effort to be original and unique from others. It gives them a chance to stand out in society and be different. This is especially because in our culture, stereotypes are quite common. So, their priority is to be original and authentic. However, in many cases, this does not succeed and their behavior is dismissed by others as a ploy for seeking the attention of the media. This is particularly relevant to celebrities and people trying to make it big in the pop-culture industry.
Famous people who exhibit eccentric or quirky behavior include Frank Chu, Vermin Supreme, John Mytton. Jhonny Depp, Shia LeBouf, Zooey Deschanel, Lady Gada, Nicholas Cage, Charlie Sheen, The Weeknd, etc.
Quirky people in interpersonal interactions
Quirky people exhibit and contribute to the following aspects in their interpersonal interactions:
- People who are quirky bring something new to the table in their interpersonal relationships. They are open to new experiences and trying out new things. In other words, they are driven to explore the world. Due to this, they come up with unique activities that their friends enjoy. They also have a tendency to bring people out of their comfort zone and have fun. They jump into new situations and strive to live a fulfilled life.
- Their strange habits make them different from others. It could be that they enjoy certain rituals or doing things in a particular way. These habits make them seem wild and original. It adds to their charm.
- Such people make their interpersonal experiences enjoyable and worthy. Even minor everyday activities are given a different meaning by them. They make other people’s day just by being themself. They do not take things too seriously and live life in an easy-going manner. In a way, they live in the present and consequently have the capacity to adapt to different situations.
- They make conversations enjoyable. The topics of the discussion with them can range from trivial topics to deep and meaningful conversations. They are not pushy and understand when people need space.
- They are always busy doing something new and exciting.
- They have a good sense of humor and know how to make others smile without even trying. They have a very unusual way of dealing with everyday problems. Their manner of dressing, talking and walking make everything easy. Furthermore, they can pick out the triggers of others and are good at comforting them.
- They are loyal to their partners even though they are explorers by heart. When they commit to someone, they find new ways to keep the relationship interesting and fun. They dislike being fake and unoriginal. So, their priority is to have open communication and a transparent relationship.
- They find joy in little things and adopt an optimistic approach to their goals and the future. They are highly supportive and encouraging of their partners especially in their choices. Furthermore, they are not judgmental and accept people for who they are.
FAQs: Quirky personality definition
What does it mean to be quirky?
Being quirky means being original. Such people are unusual and interesting. They appeal to others through their unique & distinct ideas, and behavior. They have a great sense of humor and can make anyone smile just by being themself. Others may consider them as unusual, however, time spent with them can reveal their authenticity to actually be their charm.
Is being quirky a bad thing?
Being quirky is not necessarily a bad thing provided that it is within a range of healthy limits and not a manifestation of an underlying mental illness. People with a healthy range of quirkiness are interesting in a good way. They do not creep others out. Their originality and disregard for what others think of them, make them highly distinct individuals.
What is a quirky girl?
A quirky girl is a term used to suggest someone who is eccentric. In some cases, it is used in a negative way and suggests superficiality. It describes women who are creative, ambitious, interesting, and original such as Zooey Deschanel, Tavi Gevinson, etc.
What is an example of quirky?
Since quirky people have eccentric and idiosyncratic behaviors, an example of that would be a person riding a unicycle while wearing a ballerina dress in the middle of the road. Such people have a strange, silly, and awkward way of being.
What are some common quirks?
A few common quirks include unique hair color, eye color, wearing unusual glasses, braces, being too tall or short, having some apparent physical mark like a mole, a scar, or birthmark. Similarly, some habits like nail biting, lip and hair chewing, constantly fidgeting, etc. are also examples of quirks.
In this article, we discussed a Quirky personality definition. We found that quirky means a strange or unique action or personality’ or ‘idiosyncrasies, and strange, silly, awkward, and potentially cute manner of being. With respect to personality, quirky refers to people who are weird, unusual, strange, bizarre, and eccentric in their behavior. Such people are the oddballs and stand out among a big crowd without even trying. These people are not afraid to be unique and different. Furthermore, their appearance is quite distinct and involves unusual clothing, strange habits, and are a different manner of speaking. Being quirky does not necessarily mean someone is abnormal. Rather, in normal ranges, quirky and eccentric behavior is healthy and refreshing.
I hope you found this article interesting. If you have any queries or comments, please state them in the comment section 😊