This article will look at the type 9 enneagram and not only introduce it to the audience by highlighting their traits, fears and desires but also explain how this enneagram behaves in its unhealthy state. The article will also comment on how they can improve their own self so they can reach their healthy state.
Unhealthy Type 9 Enneagrams – How They Behave?
In this article, we will examine the unhealthy state of the type 9 enneagram by exploring the following levels:
- Level 7: Unhealthy State
- Level 8: Very Unhealthy State
- Level 9: Extremely Unhealthy State
Before we explore all these levels, let’s take a look at the type 9 enneagram in detail.
Enneagram Type 9 – The Peacekeeper
These personalities just want everything to be okay! They desire peace and justice and will do absolutely anything to obtain this. They avoid conflict at any cost and will prefer to stay far away from it due to the suffering and pain it causes as well as the unproductive outcomes that accompany it.
The type 9 enneagram is one that fears loss and separation and they do not want to be in the bad books of anyone. This is why they are generally quite accepting and agreeable because they do not want to clash much with others even if it means not getting their point across or effectively expressing their views and why they support a certain stance!
This enneagram type that is also known as the ‘Peacekeeper’ has a number of strengths. First of all, they can remain calm in most situations and not panic or get frustrated because they recognize conflict and know – or at least choose – how to deal with it! Hence, unlike others, they will prevent the situation from worsening. They are great mediators when it comes to helping two people calm down and end a fight between them; they will help them express their views and encourage them to let go of things wherever they can – they will not add spice to the conflict. Also, this enneagram type can see multiple perspectives because their aim is not to win the conflict but to end it and hence they will do just that even if it means listening to others and their own self.
However, with strengths there are weaknesses too! They have the tendency to minimize problems because they just want to get rid of conflict rather than truly face and solve it. Also, because they do not fully express their true feelings, they may become passive aggressive!
The Unhealthy Levels – Type 9 Enneagrams
In this section, we will take a look at the levels of the type 9 enneagram which are considered unhealthy!
Level 7: Unhealthy State
At this stage, the type 9 enneagram has no energy at all to face any type of conflict. They will move away from any source of conflict that can cause them stress or anxiety – they adopt an escapist attitude towards their problems or real life situations they need to face.
They repress their own selves to a very large extent to protect themselves from their own thoughts – they could be thinking about possible problems in their environment or any upcoming problems or situations they should be preparing for, however, they numb out all these thoughts although they actually help in giving the type 9 enneagram a head start to face their problems.
In their daily lives, they become very ineffective – they are not able to deal with problems at all and hence cannot get many things done because they simply avoid whatever bothers or stresses them out.
At this stage, the type 9 enneagram can become a danger to themselves and others too because they prefer to remain ignorant and will not acknowledge any problems they are aware of and that should be conveyed to others.
Level 8: Very Unhealthy State
This is the stage when the type 9 enneagram has successfully blocked out anything that gives them stress – family issues, friends and work problems are a complete no no area. They do not process anything that seems to be dangerous or a problem! This enneagram becomes completely numb and oblivious. They do not recognize nor want to recognize any problems or sources of conflict – they will let the problem grow as long as they can instead of dealing with it – they want it to disappear at some point.
They lose touch with their own personality. Even to their friends and family members they become lifeless individuals who seem like strangers that simply do not care anymore. They are unrecognizable and seem to act like robots with no feelings, desires or fears. Some may think they have become selfish and do not care about others. However, in reality they are completely numb to block out any knowledge of their problems.
Level 9: Extremely Unhealthy State
This is the breaking point for the type 9 enneagram. They simply cannot sustain any more of what they are going through. They are not able to numb out the pain or fear anymore and they become shattered shells that are totally exposed to the outside world.
They cannot hide anymore and this is when their personality can break into parts to the extent that they can develop multiple personality disorder. They cannot keep themselves together and it deteriorates as a result of the anxiety they face and the inability to deal with problems and realities of life.
During this stage, the type 9 enneagram can also develop catatonic behaviours because of the anxiety they face. They will lose normal ways of acting and others will notice. They cannot express themselves or maintain exposure if they are experiencing stress or anxiety – it will become obvious to others!
A very dangerous stage indeed, the level 9 is the worst form of the type 9 enneagram which results from not dealing with their anxiety or escapist behaviours. It takes a lot to arrive at this stage and a lot to get out of it!
Growth Tips – The Type 9 Enneagram
Here are some things the enneagram 9 should keep in mind:
- Put Yourself First: One thing that ruins this enneagram is that they go along with the wishes of other people and hence not only put themselves in a bad situation but eventually realize that the other person will never be happy with them especially if they know they are giving the enneagram a hard time. The best thing to do is make sure you are comfortable doing what others need you to do otherwise say no.
- Focus: When the 9 type enneagram enneagram loses focus, that is when they begin to drift away from their own self. Hence, they should exert themselves to stay in the present and be aware of what is going on around them.
- Acceptance: It is important that the type 9 enneagram recognizes that good and bad emotions exist and hence they should not run away from their bad ones by numbing themselves and trying not to feel anything. Being hurt or in pain helps us grow and teaches us many lessons hence it is necessary to go through pain and heartache as well.
- Exercise: By exercising, the enneagram can stay in touch with the real world and their body too. It helps them feel better and stay in control and hence develop a feeling of autonomy and presence. Physically, they will feel better because exercise has a good effect on the body and releases happy hormones. Hence, daily exercise will help this enneagram type on the road to growth and self care.
- Analyze: It is important that the type 9 enneagram realizes how they end up in the problems they are trying to run away from! This is necessary not only to reduce the pain they receive from others but also to ensure they do not fall into such problems again! This will help them understand their own mistakes and how they can do better next time so they can live a better life with lesser problems and be satisfied with the decisions they make.
This article took a look at the type 9 enneagram and introduced it to the audience by commenting on it’s traits, fears and desires. Furthermore, the article also discussed the unhealthy levels of this enneagram and pointed out ways to improve their personality and hence become a better version of themselves!