What Does An Enneagram 6 Go To In The Stress?
This article will take a look at the type 6 enneagram and how they become when they experience stress. Furthermore, the article will also talk about the dark side of this enneagram and introduce it in detail to the audience. The article will then attempt to provide suggestions as to how it can improve and reach a healthier version of themselves.
What Happens When An Enneagram 6 Goes Into Stress?
Under stress, the type 6 enneagram disintegrates into an unhealthy type 3 where they are obsessed about keeping up their image at no cost. They become extremely insecure and are afraid that they will lose their standing in front of others.
At the same time, this enneagram is bent on exploiting others and whatever opportunity comes by them in a state of stress and panic. They will turn to deceptive behaviors and get what they think they need at any cost.
Stress makes these enneagrams lose their concept of what is right or wrong; they follow the ideology where every man is for himself and they will do so quietly so as not to get caught or expose their vulnerability to others.
Do not get fooled by the clever tactics of the type 6 enneagram that disintegrates into an unhealthy 3 when they are under extreme levels of stress. They will also engage in psychopathic behaviour where they lie repeatedly to get what they want and also play the victim. They will get into situations for no good reason and tell numerous lies to get out but they will only fall deeper and deeper into the dark pit they dug for their own selves – they might get away for a while but will eventually be exposed.
Here are some of the traits or behaviours they exhibit when they go into stress:
- A False Image
- Psychopathic Behaviour
If you’re facing this, it may be a good idea to seek the help of a therapist or other mental health professional. You can find a therapist at BetterHelp who can help you learn how to cope and address it.
Before we take a look at these behaviours in detail, let us introduce the type 6 enneagram to the audience!
Who Is A Type 6 Enneagram?
A type 6 enneagram is also known as the loyalist because of their traits that include commitment and engaging with others and willing to fulfill their promises. These individuals are very hard working as well as reliable and people that can be countered. They believe in being there for others, especially their loved ones.
The type 6 enneagram is also an excellent problem solver and they are able to see where the loopholes are, why exactly there is a problem and what possible solutions there are! They are great at bringing people together for a common cause that requires cooperation and joint resources in order to solve an issue or problem!
However, this enneagram type can become evasive and run away from their problems. If confronted, they are also very defensive and may snap at you! They are prone to experiencing stress and will oftentimes work while complaining about it – it is not easy to get them to stop working.
These individuals also have issues with their decisions in the sense that it is difficult for them to take a certain stance on something – hence they are indecisive and sometimes doubt their own selves.
Basic Fear of Loyalists
The enneagram type under discussion here is fearful of losing what support, stability or guidance they have in life. They are very much dependent on others whom they not only consider close but also depend on. The reason why they are so loyal to their close ones is because they do not want to lose them. Why? These people are the ones they derive their support and guidance from. They have this belief that they do not have all the resources that they think they need to take the world on!
Basic Desire of Loyalists
The type 6 enneagram has the desire to have stable and strong relationships from where they can derive support, guidance and the strength they need to tackle their own problems in life. They want to be able to trust others and depend upon them and feel like they have someone to rely on.
This is what drives these individuals to form loyal bonds with others so they are not left alone when they are in need.
The Deteriorating Enneagram Type 6!
Do you know what happens if the enneagram type 6 begins to deteriorate mentally or emotionally? If they don’t take care of themselves especially in times of stress a very dark side of this enneagram can rise to the surface.
At first, these individuals will try and get as much security as they can from the resources or options they have. They will spend time in those things that give them some sort of stability in their life. They will spend excessive time around those whom they think are there to guide them. Hence they will focus all their efforts and time on these things or people. They will get into the habit of avoiding risky situations that are imperative for growth.
People who are this enneagram type may also try to compensate for their own securities by blaming others! They will explain the issues they face in terms of other people; they will blame other people or their actions for their own misfortune. This will provide them with a temporary safe haven but will also reduce their sense of taking responsibility.
At times when things seem dark and gloomy, they may feel people have left them or they do not have any sense of security (lost resources) which will cause them to panic and become extremely reactive!
They may develop irrational fears that now that they are without any barriers, they are vulnerable and people are not out to get them. They will be emotionally drained. At their worst, they will engage in substance abuse and become suicidal!
Type 6s & Stress
In this section, we will take a look at the more frequent behaviours this enneagram exhibits when they are in stress!
- A False Image: When they are stressed out, the type 6 enneagram does not want anyone to know about the problems they are going through. Hence with much effort and smart tactics and of course a fake smile, they keep up a false image that prevents people from seeing their true self. Another advantage of this is that it is easier to hide their dirty tracks because why should anyone suspect them right? They are doing perfectly well in life!
- Jealous: while they are undergoing immense stress, they can’t help notice others who are doing just fine and getting the opportunities or things in life they wanted – this creates an intense flame of jealousy in them and they can’t stop thinking about those people who are well off. It feeds into their negative thoughts and further fuels them to take action to get to where they want to be.
- Competitive: A strange feeling takes over when this enneagram is under stress. They will become extremely competitive in even the smallest things to give themselves assurance that they are truly better at things.
- Deceptive: To get what they want without anyone really noticing their true state of affairs and how poor of a state they are in, this enneagram will use clever and deceptive tactics to get ahead of others. They will lie, cheat, exploit and even damage others or what they own to get their way of things. They are truly desperate so anything can be expected from a type 5 enneagram undergoing stress.
- Psychopathic Behaviour: In extreme cases, the enneagram type 5 will engage in psychopathic behaviour. They will tell lies that have head or feet, engage in continuous lies that really serve no purpose and not even make sense. They will blame others and play the victim at the same time to get any sympathy they need and also get away with their devious actions or tactics they have been employing.
How Can An Enneagram Type 6 Work On Self Improvement?
The enneagram type 6 can work on self improvement by focusing on the following areas:
- Learn New Things
- Regulate Emotions
- Remain Aware of Thoughts
- Positive Attitude
- Trust Others
This article took a look at how the type 6 enneagram behaves when they become stressed out and also what they can do to deal with the stress. The article also introduced this enneagram in detail to the audience.