This article will highlight what it means by the social 6 enneagram and how this is actually a subtype and represents the type 6 enneagram’s behavior in the social realm. The article will also take the opportunity to discuss what a type 6 enneagram is.
The Social 6 Enneagram Type – Major Characteristics
Here are the major traits of the type 6 enneagram in its social subtype:
- Recognize Authority
- Keep Tradition
- Keep Units Functioning
- Have High Standards
- Put Group’s Needs First
- Dedicated Workers
- Dislike Leadership Roles
What Are Instinctual Variants?
In order to survive and thrive human beings have generally developed three types of behaviours that allow them to respond to threats, socialize with others and form close relationships with people – these are known as self preservation, social, and one to one behaviours respectively.
These behaviours are defined by subtypes and there are a total of 27 subtypes which means that each enneagram has 3 subtypes in total just like the type 6 enneagram.
We have subtypes because they allow us to react to different situations immediately with little awareness and effort – this allows us to deal with various situations without putting too much thought and effort into it. Hence, we as individuals may behave differently in different situations but generally in the same manner across a wider continuum.
Some people see their primary subtype quite quickly, while for others it’s a matter of study over time. Those who know us well may offer some useful feedback, since we don’t always see ourselves objectively.
Who Is A Type 6 Enneagram?
A type 6 enneagram is also known as the loyalist because of their traits that include commitment and engaging with others and willing to fulfill their promises. These individuals are very hard working as well as reliable and people that can be countered. They believe in being there for others, especially their loved ones.
The type 6 enneagram is also an excellent problem solver and they are able to see where the loopholes are, why exactly there is a problem and what possible solutions there are! They are great at bringing people together for a common cause that requires cooperation and joint resources in order to solve an issue or problem!
However, this enneagram type can become evasive and run away from their problems. If confronted, they are also very defensive and may snap at you! They are prone to experiencing stress and will oftentimes work while complaining about it – it is not easy to get them to stop working.
These individuals also have issues with their decisions in the sense that it is difficult for them to take a certain stance on something – hence they are indecisive and sometimes doubt their own selves.
Basic Fear of Loyalists
The enneagram type under discussion here is fearful of losing what support, stability or guidance they have in life. They are very much dependent on others whom they not only consider close but also depend on. The reason why they are so loyal to their close ones is because they do not want to lose them. Why? These people are the ones they derive their support and guidance from. They have this belief that they do not have all the resources that they think they need to take the world on!
Basic Desire of Loyalists
The type 6 enneagram has the desire to have stable and strong relationships from where they can derive support, guidance and the strength they need to tackle their own problems in life. They want to be able to trust others and depend upon them and feel like they have someone to rely on.
This is what drives these individuals to form loyal bonds with others so they are not left alone when they are in need.
The Social 6 Enneagram Type – Major Characteristics
Here are the major traits of the type 6 enneagram in its social subtype!
The type 6 enneagram always recognizes authority even if they don’t plan or respect it or follow it. They do know that there is a higher authority that is running the group or the organization and they will make others aware that they themselves are aware of this authority.
It is an interesting phenomenon to witness especially if the type 6 enneagram dislikes the authority underneath which they work. Social Sixes sees the authority in the group as critical. They may easily play devil’s advocate, but they will never ignore authority.
Another very important characteristic of the type 6 enneagram is that they will always uphold tradition and make sure others participate. So whether it is Hanukkah or Thanksgiving, they will make sure the family gathers to have dinner together or light the candles or cut the turkey – they never let values get lost in the way. They are the ones who talk about their family roots and how things have been passed down in tradition. The type 6 enneagram is the one who will make you sit on the sofa and watch videos of the children when they are just 6 years old.
Keep Units Functioning
This is the guy who keeps things running in the company – they will make sure everyone is coming to work and they will keep policies in check. They are the ones who will remember company events and ensure that the organization achieves its goals by motivating everyone.
Have High Standards
The enneagram type 6 has very high standards from others because they themselves uphold rules, traditions and policies which they strongly believe give structure not only to society but also life.
Put Group’s Needs First
What is interesting and clever about the type 6 enneagram when it is behaving as a social member is that it puts the group’s needs first and this gives them the significance and leverage they need when they have to push others around.
The type 6 enneagram is also considered a dedicated worker. They will stay with the company and make sure they do their part even if they are tired or stressed out because of their commitment and the importance of continuing things.
Dislike Leadership Roles
Despite what we have read about the type 6 enneagram, they are known to dislike leadership roles and prefer to be a part of the group instead of its head.
Type 6s & Stress
In this section, we will take a look at the more frequent behaviours this enneagram exhibits when they are in stress!
- A False Image: When they are stressed out, the type 6 enneagram does not want anyone to know about the problems they are going through. Hence with much effort and smart tactics and of course a fake smile, they keep up a false image that prevents people from seeing their true self. Another advantage of this is that it is easier to hide their dirty tracks because why should anyone suspect them right? They are doing perfectly well in life!
- Jealous: while they are undergoing immense stress, they can’t help notice others who are doing just fine and getting the opportunities or things in life they wanted – this creates an intense flame of jealousy in them and they can’t stop thinking about those people who are well off. It feeds into their negative thoughts and further fuels them to take action to get to where they want to be.
- Competitive: A strange feeling takes over when this enneagram is under stress. They will become extremely competitive in even the smallest things to give themselves assurance that they are truly better at things.
- Deceptive: To get what they want without anyone really noticing their true state of affairs and how poor of a state they are in, this enneagram will use clever and deceptive tactics to get ahead of others. They will lie, cheat, exploit and even damage others or what they own to get their way of things. They are truly desperate so anything can be expected from a type 5 enneagram undergoing stress.
- Psychopathic Behaviour: In extreme cases, the enneagram type 5 will engage in psychopathic behaviour. They will tell lies that have head or feet, engage in continuous lies that really serve no purpose and not even make sense. They will blame others and play the victim at the same time to get any sympathy they need and also get away with their devious actions or tactics they have been employing.
This article took a look at the social subtype of the type 6 enneagram and also introduced it in detail as well as highlighted how this enneagram behaves when it is stressed out.