Differences between ISTP and ISFP personality types? (9 differences)
This blog will answer the question, “Are there any differences between ISTP and ISFP personality types?”, will make a modest comparison of the two, define both the ISTP and ISFP personality type, and outline the traits of both ISTP.
Are there any differences between ISTP and ISFP personality types?
This in itself is a good question because at face value it may appear that there are little or no differences between the ISTP and ISFP personality types.
But with careful consideration and analysis, there are a number of differences that can be noticed. These include:
ISTP VS ISFP
|Tends to avoid emotions and is unable to effectively tackle emotional situations.||Tends to repress emotions yet also ineffective when dealing with emotional situations.|
|Can be very passive, aloof and uninterested, and oblivious of their environments.||The sensitive and attentive nature makes them vulnerable to getting easily hurt by people.|
|Technical and handy character.||More artistic and refined character.|
|Detached from people’s thoughts, feelings, and opinions and only focus on facts.||Get attached to people and things and take everything very personally.|
|Are impulsive thrill-seekers constantly craving excitement.||Are driven to satisfy their need for harmony in activities.|
|They are rational hence objective||They tend to be more in tune with their feeling. Often subjective judgment.|
|The ISTP makes all decisions using logical and practicality.||The ISFP doesn’t use logic to make decisions but uses their feelings to choose.|
|Are usually passive when others speak ill. Only clear misunderstanding when with people they think highly of Otherwise, they move on very quickly from things.||Cannot stand for people violating or speaking ill of them and will usually follow up to rectify a misunderstanding or put the perpetrator in their place.|
|ISTPs are advocates for the rights of freedoms of others as they love justice and fairness.||Selective and specific about who they make accountable for any injustices. Often acts when injustice affects them.|
What are the ISFP and ISTP personality types?
The ISTP Personality:
ISTP stands for Introverted, Sensing, Thinking, Perceiving and it is a personality type on the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator.
Such an individual gets energized by spending time alone (Introverted), is mainly drawn to facts, evidence and details over theories and beliefs (Sensing).
The ISTP makes decisions by methods of critical analysis and logical reasoning (Thinking) and is impulsive. Additionally, the ISTP is adaptable rather than planned and routine-oriented (Perceiving).
The ISFP Personality:
ISFP stands for Introverted, Sensing, Feeling, Perceiving and it is a personality type on the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator.
Such an individual also gets energized by spending time alone (Introverted), is also mainly drawn to facts, evidence, and details over theories and beliefs (Sensing). The ISFP makes decisions on the basis of their feelings and emotions (Feeling). They are very impulsive and adaptable rather than planned and routine-oriented (Perceiving).
What are the traits of both the ISFP and ISTP personalities?
Traits of an ISTP personality type:
● ISTPs have a compelling drive to understand the way things work. They like to take things apart and see the way they work.
● They’re good at logical analysis, solving practical problems and concerns. They are graced with a strong ability of reasoning.
● ISTPs have a daring spirit and embrace challenges and are attracted to adrenaline spiking activities.
● ISTPs are prone to becoming bored and uninterested very quickly if they keep doing the same thing.
● ISTPs are introverts so they spend a lot of time alone and don’t enjoy social activities and being in crowds.
Traits of an ISFP personality type:
● ISFPs are very ‘here and now’ oriented, focusing on and living in the present, not too worried about the future or past.
● They are very private.
● Intensely loyal to friends and family.
● They take pleasure in sensory and practical activities such as painting, photography, or handicrafts.
● They are very simplistic and like to keep things as uncomplicated as possible.
● Do not like routines, planning, and being controlled but enjoy spontaneity.
● They prefer to play supportive roles as opposed to leadership roles.
● They have calm and silent dispositions.
● They prefer to be alone than to be in a social setting mingling with other people.
This blog answered the question, “Are there any differences between ISTP and ISFP personality types?”.
It defined both the ISTP and ISFP personality types, outlined the traits of both ISTP and ISFP, and lastly discussed the differences between ISFP and ISTP personality types.
These differences include:
● ISTPs are more logically oriented while ISFP is feelings oriented.
● ISTPs are more technical while ISFP is more artistic.
● ISTPs are oblivious to the emotions of others and their own while ISFPs are the opposite. However, they are both bad at expressing their emotions.
● ISFPs take everything personally while ISTPs maintain an objective view of things.
● ISFPs are sensitive to what people say and are gentle while ISTPs tend to be callous and oblivious to what people say
Hope this article was helpful, please feel free to leave a comment or question in the comment section below.
Frequently Asked Questions: Are there any differences between ISTP and ISFP personality types?
What is the difference between ISTP and ISFP?
ISTPs are focused on a logical and pragmatic way of doing things while ISFPs are focused on personal values and principles.
Do ISFP and ISTP get along?
ISTPs and ISFPs complement each other by ISTP offering practical insight to the ISFP while ISFPs can help ISTPs connect personally with others.
Who should ISTP marry?
Research shows that the ISTP’s natural born type to marry is the ESTJ or the ENTJ. Because they are introverted they are best matched with a partner whose personality is Extroverted.
Is ISFP rare?
ISFP is the fourth most common type in the population making up 9% of the general population.
Who is compatible with ISFP?
ISFPs are most compatible with ESFPs, ISTPs, and ISFJs. They connect quickly with these three personality types because all of them share a sensing factor.
Are ISFP manipulative?
No, ISFPs are warm and gentle people which makes them to be the ones susceptible to being manipulated easily.
‘Comparison of Insights Discovery System to Myers-Briggs Type Indicator report’, retrieved from https://www.insights.com/
Isabel Briggs Myers, (2015), Introduction to Type, CPP. PDF
Rajagopalan & Guruswami, (2015), “Relationship between Personality Traits and the Psychological Biases of Retail Investors – An Empirical Study”, Vidyasagar University Journal of Commerce, Vol. 20. PDF
Richard Bentall, (2003), Madness Explained: psychosis and human nature, Penguin, London. PDF