Are Enneagram 6s Introverts?
This article will take a look at the type 6 enneagram in detail and determine whether they are introverts or not. The article will highlight their major traits that are relevant to the characteristics of the type 6 enneagram. The article will also comment on the ways this enneagram can grow so they can play a more active role in their community.
Are Enneagram 6s Introverts?
In essence, type 6s are the true embodiment of ambiverts – they possess traits of both introverts and extroversion. They have mastered the skills of both types of personalities and use them according to the situation or their own needs.
In terms of their relations with others, they are excellent extroverts who possess great people skills and are very appealing in their appearance and how they present themselves. They know how to interact with people and give them what they want. Type 6 enneagrams speak in a manner that is pleasing to others and assuring in a sense that they will fulfill their commitments or whatever promises they have made to the other party. They are also good at maintaining conversations. Furthermore, they know when to approach people and look for good excuses too.
At the same time, this very same enneagram type bends towards the introverted personality too. However, they have blended their personality in such a way that they use the advantages of both introversion and extroversion to fulfill their own needs – one which involves building a strong support system. Their introverted traits allow them to read people and look for the subtle responses in their behavior that allow them to carry on the conversation accordingly. They have strong, well developed mental processes that help them determine their next course of action.
Before we look at other complementary traits of the type 6 enneagram, let us introduce it in detail.
Who Is A Type 6 Enneagram?
A type 6 enneagram is also known as the loyalist because of their traits that include commitment and engaging with others and willing to fulfill their promises. These individuals are very hard working as well as reliable and people that can be countered. They believe in being there for others, especially their loved ones.
The type 6 enneagram is also an excellent problem solver and they are able to see where the loopholes are, why exactly there is a problem and what possible solutions there are! They are great at bringing people together for a common cause that requires cooperation and joint resources in order to solve an issue or problem!
However, this enneagram type can become evasive and run away from their problems. If confronted, they are also very defensive and may snap at you! They are prone to experiencing stress and will oftentimes work while complaining about it – it is not easy to get them to stop working.
These individuals also have issues with their decisions in the sense that it is difficult for them to take a certain stance on something – hence they are indecisive and sometimes doubt their own selves.
Apart from this, the type 6 enneagram does have a few bad traits that affect its behavior and thoughts.
At first, these individuals will try and get as much security as they can from the resources or options they have. They will spend time in those things that give them some sort of stability in their life. They will spend excessive time around those whom they think are there to guide them. Hence they will focus all their efforts and time on these things or people. They will get into the habit of avoiding risky situations that are imperative for growth.
People who are this enneagram type may also try to compensate for their own securities by blaming others! They will explain the issues they face in terms of other people; they will blame other people or their actions for their own misfortune. This will provide them with a temporary safe haven but will also reduce their sense of taking responsibility.
Basic Fear of Loyalists
The enneagram type under discussion here is fearful of losing what support, stability or guidance they have in life. They are very much dependent on others whom they not only consider close but also depend on. The reason why they are so loyal to their close ones is because they do not want to lose them. Why? These people are the ones they derive their support and guidance from. They have this belief that they do not have all the resources that they think they need to take the world on!
Basic Desire of Loyalists
The type 6 enneagram has the desire to have stable and strong relationships from where they can derive support, guidance and the strength they need to tackle their own problems in life. They want to be able to trust others and depend upon them and feel like they have someone to rely on.
This is what drives these individuals to form loyal bonds with others so they are not left alone when they are in need.
Traits of Peacekeepers – Type 6s & Introverts
Here are some traits of the type 6 enneagram that fit in with it’s overall introvert nature:
- Go Quiet: Although they have great skills when it comes to interacting with others, the type 6 enneagram will sometimes go in their reserved mode where they are distant and quiet. This may be because of their bad experiences or a setback they faced and they usually handle such things like an introvert would – withdraw from their surroundings.
- High Emotional Intelligence: All introverts may not possess this but the type 6 does because they are also frequently exposed to people and their behaviours as well as their intents and feelings. Hence, this enneagram is great at determining how a person truly feels no matter how they behave. They can sense whether a person is off and why so – they guess quite well. Others may not notice but the type 6 does.
- Creative: Like other introverts, the type 6 enneagram is quite creative and usually so because of the people around them. Their main aim is to get closer to people whom they consider as valuable support structures. They will think of many ways to get closer to them and excuses to talk to them. It is indeed an interesting thing to watch. They will often mess up or make a fool out of themselves – but it helps them find the right and sincere people in life – eventually.
Growth Tips – The Type 6 Enneagram
Here are some things the enneagram 6 should keep in mind so they can play an active and sustainable role in the world while having an introverted personality:
- Learn New Things: Learning helps them develop their skills – this enneagram has a lot of potential to learn different skill sets and hence increase their self efficacy and ability to be productive.
- Regulate Emotions: Sometimes this enneagram may have issues regulating their emotions especially because they are so focused on others who strongly impact their emotions. By regulating their emotions, they can have more control and hence keep their composure even in times when they are upset due to others or how they treat them.
- Remain Aware of Thoughts: As introverts, these individuals have in depth and complex thought patterns which can prove dangerous because they are also in the habit of expressing their inner selves when they shift to extroversion mode.
- Positive Attitude: It is always best to give the benefit of doubt when dealing with others. We tend to judge people at face value when they have so much going on in their lives and their behaviour is the result of many complex issues. Hence, the type 6 enneagram should have a positive attitude when dealing with others.
- Trust Others: Along with a positive attitude, the type 6 enneagram should trust others. There is no benefit in always having a doubtful attitude when there is no such evidence. Yes it may help you discover things sooner but if there is nothing going on then you are wasting your energies.
This article answered the question of whether the type 6 enneagram is an introvert or not. The article also highlighted the major traits of the enneagram under discussion and introduced it in detail. Towards the end, growth tips of the 6 type enneagram were provided.
If you’ve enjoyed the ”Are Enneagram 6s Introverts” you should take a look at ”6w5 Vs 5w6: The Enneagrams” and ”6w5 & 9w1 Enneagrams:” too.